Shopping Cart
Your Cart is Empty
There was an error with PayPalClick here to try again
CelebrateThank you for your business!You should be receiving an order confirmation from Paypal shortly.Exit Shopping Cart

Call Us today


Gitelis Law Offices

Frequently Asked Questions

"I was just in an accident...what is the first thing I should do?"

First call the Police.

At the scene be sure to obtain the name, address, license number, and insurance information from the other drivers involved. If there were any witnesses try to get their names and phone numbers as well.

If you are injured, it is important to seek treatment immediately. Sometimes serious injuries do not cause immediate pain. If you experience even minor pain you should see you doctor immediately. Be sure to keep all hospital, doctor, and pharmacy statements and receipts.

"An insurance agent for the other driver asked me to give a recorded statement about the accident. Should I give this statement?"

The insurance company is not on your side. They want to protect the interests of the driver who caused your injury and they want to pay you as little as possible.

Although the insurance agent may give you the impression that you are obligated to give the statement, you are under no obligation. Regardless of fault, you should contact a lawyer prior to deciding whether or not to give a statement to an insurance company.

"I have been injured. Who will pay my medical bills?"

Usually, you will be able to have your bills paid under the No-Fault provision in your auto insurance policy. If you submit a claim to your health insurance company they may file a lien on your case that you may be required to pay from your settlement. Your attorney can help negotiate these liens.

If you do not have insurance, your attorney can help you find a doctor that will wait to have their bills paid until after your case is settled under what is known as a "medical lien"

"Can I get money for my pain and suffering"

Upon convincing proof of your pain and suffering most insurance companies will agree to pay for pain and suffering.

Proof of pain and suffering is one of the most challenging aspects of an automobile accident claim and often requires witness statements and doctor reports to support the claim.

"The accident was a short time ago, but the insurance company is offering me money now. Should I take it?"

Be very careful. An early offer may not fully compensate you for your injuries, especially if you do not yet know the full extent of your injuries. Remember that once you accept the offer, they will not pay you any more money. This is true even if you later discover that your injuries are worse than you thought. Often one will discover that he could have received much more with effective legal representation.

"If I hire a lawyer, what will the lawyer do for me?"

Your lawyer should help you find a doctor who is trained in treating patients with injuries, help you to have your car repaired, interview and obtain statements from all witnesses to the accident, advise you as to the value of your claim, prepare a detailed and convincing packet to present to the insurance company to obtain a fair settlement for you, and take your case to trial if it is necessary in order to obtain fair compensation for you.

"I would like to talk to a lawyer but I can't afford one. What should I do?"

If you have a personal injury case and we represent you, YOU WILL NOT PAY ONE PENNY OUT OF POCKET unless we recover money for you. It will cost you nothing to meet with us to determine whether we can help you. Call our office at 718-502-1016. We would be glad to talk to you.